The Laurentius Chapel in Hildesheim Cathedral
The Laurentius Chapel is, along with the cloisters, one of the only remaining Romanesque additions to Hildesheim Cathedral. In the period between 1960 and 2010, the Laurentius Chapel was used as the main vestry of the Cathedral. On re-opening following the restoration of the cathedral, it was used as a prayer chapel and for weekday worship. It also serves as a sacrament chapel with a tabernacle.
The Laurentius Chapel has three aisles and a low groin vault. It was founded as the first chapel of the Cathedral under Bishop Hezilo in 1079, which is why the plain, Romanesque style of architecture predominates. The Chapel is remarkable for its precise division of space. This is achieved using 15 late-Romanesque and Gothic pillars with beautiful chapters. In 1440, the Laurentius Chapel was expanded by one aisle to the south, whose arch is supported by octagonal Gothic pillars.
It appears that the Laurentius Chapel was initially used as a chapter house. It allows passage to the south cloister and is directly adjacent to the vestry.