The Hildesheim Cathedral Cloister
The cloister of the Hildesheim Cathedral has existed in its current form since 1150. It is predominantly of Roman origin and a two-storey construction.
The cloister of Hildesheim Cathedral encircles the cathedral’s eastern apse with its three wings. St. Anne’s Chapel was built in the cloister courtyard for commemoration celebrations in 1321. It was the first purely Gothic church built in Hildesheim.
With the opening of the Cathedral Museum, the upper cloister will now be accessible to the general public. It was previously only opened for special occasions.
The cloister surrounds St. Anne’s Cemetery. The grave monuments, some of which date from the early Middle Ages, tell visitors about the history of the cathedral, the work of previous canons and the stonemasonry.